INTERNATIONAL FEDERATION OF IRAQ REFUGEES-IFIR
Human rights campaigners, trade unions and refugee rights organizations across Europe, please join our campaign to defend Iraqi and Kurdish refugees
The American coalition forces attacked Iraq in the name of bringing freedom and democracy to Iraq instead they have brought terror and killing. It has been six years since the American led invasion of Iraq, yet killing, security, poverty, unemployment and lack of basic services continue in Iraq. Yet Iraqi refugees remain the highest percentage of any nationality entering neighbouring countries, Europe, America and worldwide.
The situation of the Iraqi refugees in Syria, Jordan, Lebanon, Egypt, Pakistan, Iran and Europe is a tragedy. Many thousands of Iraqi refugees have resorted to begging, prostitution, selling their internal organs to avoid destitution.
European countries such as the UK, Switzerland, Sweden and Germany are treating Iraqi refugees without compassion. Many have been detained and locked up in detention centers across Europe.
Both the UK and Swedish Goverments have made agreements with the Iraqi Government to return failed asylum seekers. The Iraqi Government is trading Iraqi asylum seekers’ lives for financial gain for the KRG and Iraqi Government. Shame on the Iraqi Government for making such a deal. They cannot provide security and safety for their citizens, which has led to thousands of people leaving Iraq, and yet they make such a dishonest deal for money in exchange for the future of Iraqi refugees lives.
Several hundred Iraqi refugees have been returned to Northern Iraq and more recently Bahgdad. The ruturned asylum seekers have been seperated from their friends and families – many have partners and children in Europe. Many of the returned asylum seekers are forced to live in hiding to avoid persecution. People who have been deported have committed suicide, been kidnapped and killed in car bombs.
IFIR has called a two day lobby in front of the UN office in Geneva. We ask all Human and Refugee rights campaigners and labour and Trade Union activists to stand with us to stop this policy against Iraqi asylum seekers in European country. With your help we can put an end to these policies against Iraqi & Kurdish refugees.
To prevent further suffering, the International Federation of the Iraqi Refugees calls upon the United Nations to make the following demands out of a regard for compassion and human dignity:-
1. An immediate end to the policy of enforced deportation of Iraqi Kurdish refugees by all European countries.
2. Require all European governments to recognise that previous agreements, between the Iraqi Kurdish government and European countries regarding the deportation of refugees, as invalid because their safety simply cannot be guaranteed.
3. Require the release of all Iraqi refugees from prisons and detention centres, who have been detained because of illegal entry or their leave to remain, has expired. Those who have committed a crime should be charged and tried in the country where the crime was committed not forcibly deported.
4. Demand that Kurdish and Iraqi asylum seekers, be allowed to work to support themselves and have the right to family reunion.
5. Those asylum seekers who are disabled, ill, or destitute and cannot work should be treated with compassion.
6. Asylum seekers who are destitute in countries outside Europe should be supported with health services and education or transferred to a European country.
If these demands are to be met we need your support:
* please join our demonstrations outside the United Nations office in Geneva on the 16 and 17 April for further information please contact (Ahmad Ali )on (0788532004)or (Jamal Koshish) on(0787557786) for queries regarding the campaign contact campaign co-ordinator( Rebwar Arif )email@example.com
* if you can not attend the demonstrations please send letters calling on the United Nations to comply with the seven demands listed above to Ban Ki Moon, Secretary General of the United Nations, Avenue de la Paix 14, 1211 Genève 10, Switzerland or fax 022 917 00 32 – Fax (please send IFIR a copy of your letter to firstname.lastname@example.org)
* if you can, please send financial support to enable IFIR to pay for the transport costs of asylum seekers who wish to attend the demonstrations. Please send cheques payable to ‘Coalition to Stop Deportations to Iraq’ to IFIR, PO.BOX1575, ILFORD, IG1 3BZ, LONDON
The Secretariat for International Federation of Iraqi Refugees.IFIR 31/3/2009
IFIR:PO.BOX1575, ILFORD, IG1 3BZ, LONDON UK :Dashty Jamal, Secretary of IFIR Tel:0044 7856032991, Richard on 07824996724