the commune issue 16

The August issue of The Commune is now available. Click the image below to see PDF or use the list of individual articles as they are posted online.

Contact us at uncaptiveminds@gmail.com if you would like to buy a printed copy (£1 + 50p postage) or set up a subscription. (£12 a year UK/£16 EU/£20 international.

local reports and anti-cuts campaigns

fighting the cuts: the task ahead – by Kojo Kyerewaa

‘the resurgence of unions in the strangest of places’ – Angela Gorrie reports on Dundee

a ripple in the coming storm – Joe Thorne reports on Hackney

harsh cuts in north wales – Steve Ryan reports on Wrexham

education

hackney community college needs a community fight – by an hourly-paid ESOL teacher

‘unviable’ courses after man met uni cuts – by Mark Harrison

news

an olive branch to the taliban? – by the Revolutionary Association of the Women of Afghanistan

the EDL and the islamist far-right – interview with Ansar Ahmed Ullah

the day the EDL didn’t show up – by Richard Price

public sector

the cuts agenda and ‘social capital’ – by Dave Spencer

the NHS: a tarnished jewel – by Terry Liddle

industrial

some past rank and file movements… and the future – by Sheila Cohen

facing different ways? – Gregor Gall on the prospects of a generalised fightback

feminism

mujeres creando: rebellion, it’s your fault i’ll be happy – Helen Álvarez Virreira on Bolivian feminism

review of sheila rowbotham’s dreamers of a new day – by David Broder

our network

where next for the commune? – Leo and Mark from Bristol reply to a debate on ‘communist recomposition’

reflections on beyond resistance day school – by Sharon Borthwick

from meltdown to upheaval? – proposal for a conference in September

our platform

One thought on “the commune issue 16

  1. r/e Terry Liddle, the NHS a Tarnished Jewel. Claiming GPs have a ‘near incestuous relationship with drug companies’ needs justification. To claim that some GPs accept some gifts from drug company representatives is true, but many do not, and in my experience in City and Hackney and Tower Hamlets where I’ve worked as a locum and a partner for 10 years, the majority refuse to have anything to do with them as a point of principle. There is clear guidance from the General Medical Council: “75. If you have financial or commercial interests in organisations providing healthcare or in pharmaceutical or other biomedical companies, these interests must not affect the way you prescribe for, treat or refer patients.”
    GPs are regularly audited on the proportion of prescriptions that are for generic (unbranded) drugs and are expected to reach maximum targets (around 90%) The remaining 10% are for certain drugs for epilepsy etc. where the bioavailability varies betweens brands.
    On a more enlightening note your readers may be interested in (or familiar with) the great communist doctor and writer (still writing) Julian Tudor Hart, whose book, the Political Economy of Heathcare second edition is due very soon and whose website has a lot of free articles. A great historical communist doctor/ writer I’ve enjoyed recently is Henry Sigerist.

    Like

Comments are closed.